The Sir John Moore Foundation charity is the custodian of an extraordinary heritage site; Grade 1 listed, Christopher Wren designed building providing opportunities and inspiration to all. Between 1996 and 2004 the Trustees, Governors and the local community raised over £2m of funding and ‘rescued’ the building that has served as a place of education for over 300 years.
Sir John Moore made his fortune as a London merchant through the sale of lead mined in the Pennines to customers in England, Europe and Asia. Master of the Grocers Company in 1671 he was later a major shareholder and director of the East India Company, and a director of the Royal African Company for 4 years. Knighted in 1672 he was Lord Mayor of London in 1682. President of Christ’s Hospital School in the City of London he endowed its Writing School in 1695 and the Appleby School in 1697.
See more of the history of the building.
For more information please contact the Foundation Office.
This successful village school currently has 151 children in 6 classes. For more information on the school contact the headteacher Mr Wright on 01530-270330.
With a number of dedicated office units the Foundation provides a convenient location for businesses. The building also houses two residential apartments, including one in the original English Master's quarters.
The trustees raise funds through a wide variety of activities, from the renting of office space and the apartments, weddings and private functions, to learning activities and community use. All the income from these activities goes back into the charity to achieve the extensive care and maintenance required for the Grade 1 Listed building. The Charity has been successful in obtaining grants from a number of sources and the trustees would like to thank all its supporters.
The Foundation is a registered charity (Registered Charity Number 510484)